What Are Big Ideas
Rutgers’ Big Ideas are large-scale, forward-thinking projects that will elevate Rutgers’ reputation on the national stage while sparking positive transformations in New Jersey and beyond. These Big Ideas will enable Rutgers to fulfill its aim of improving the human condition.
With its powerful interdisciplinary approach, this initiative harnesses the broad knowledge of Rutgers’ diverse community by spurring collaboration and innovation among faculty, staff, and bold supporters.
Now, Rutgers will partner with donors and the community to secure support for these Big Ideas, which are poised to build a stronger Rutgers and a better world.
The Journey to 12 Big Ideas
Today, the Rutgers Big Ideas initiative consists of 12 disruptive projects. But back in 2018, a call for visionary proposals resulted in more than 200 collaborative ideas, ranging from cutting-edge cancer treatment to socially engaged art to a self-cleaning tissue dispenser. Here’s how Rutgers winnowed down the list.
Rutgers issued a call to its 23,000 faculty and staff for bold, visionary, and transformational ideas. More than 200 teams from around Rutgers⁠—⁠led by brilliant thinkers, creators, and distinguished experts in their fields⁠—⁠responded to the call.
Using a multilevel selection process, the Rutgers community arrived at a shorter list of 40 visionary ideas
The 40 teams presented their proposals at the Big Ideas Symposium, where they received input from a select group of Rutgers thought leaders and innovators.
Over the course of 2020, the Rutgers community and leadership engaged in a vigorous review of the 40 ideas that were presented at the symposium. Ultimately, 12 ideas were selected to underpin the Big Ideas initiative.
Rutgers publicly announced 12 Big Ideas. Read the announcement post here.
Rutgers hosted a virtual discovery of the 12 Big Ideas, where participants engaged with dynamic presentations and learned more about each of these inspiring projects.
April 2021 onward
Rutgers and its supporters will continue to amplify these projects and provide them with the resources necessary to make a grand impact.
Together, Big Ideas model solutions to some of the most pressing challenges of our time, including public health issues, infectious disease, climate resilience, social justice, artificial intelligence, access to education, cancer treatment, and more. We invite you to learn more about these ideas using the resources below.
View the recording of the dynamic Big Ideas virtual discovery below:
Learn more about each of the Big Ideas using the following links.
- Advancing Urban Public Health: An Equity and Social Justice Approach Alleviating health inequities by improving structures and systems
- Dreams Fulfilled Making a Rutgers education accessible, affordable, and successful for students
- Minds and Machines Using science and responsible innovation for public good in the age of intelligent tools
- Earth 2100 Improving planetary stewardship through science and technology
- The Center for COVID-19 Response and Pandemic Preparedness Learning from our recent past and preparing, now, for what is to come
- The Rutgers University Microbiome Program Harnessing microbiomes to improve human health
- Art Matters Creating a center for socially engaged art and design
- Cancer Immunology and Metabolism Center of Excellence at Rutgers Cancer Institute Saving lives through cutting-edge cancer research and treatment
- The Rutgers Advanced Institute for the Study of Entrepreneurship and Development Fostering urban entrepreneurship through fundamental, applied research
- The Rutgers Crime Lab Unit Detecting and preventing crime through an innovative new approach
- Rutgers Center for Healthy Aging Improving population health by reshaping research, practice, and policy
- Rutgers–Camden Innovation Community Hub: From Local to Global Creating sustainable socio-economic growth in vulnerable communities
Questions about the Big Ideas? Please email email@example.com.